Our players have noticed that since the updated crew skill system was released, some of their veteran crewmen have lost their ranks. This is true and is caused by the way those ranks are assigned.
Crew ranks are defined by the amount of experience they earned and, consequently, the number of skills they unlocked. The highest rank a pilot can achieve is Colonel, while rear gunners can reach Lieutenant Colonel rank.
In terms of the old crew skill system, the crew could accumulate less experience than with the new system introduced in Update 1.9.5. It features more skills that will require significantly more experience to unlock fully — thus the highest ranks became harder to achieve.
The new system assigns ranks according to the number of skill points unlocked by a crewman:
Pilot (USSR | Germany | USA | Japan | Great Britain | China | France)
- 0 skill points — St. Serzhant | Feldwebel | Technical Sergeant | Itto Hiko Heiso | Chief Technician | Sergeant 1st Class | Adjutant
- 1-2 skill points — Starshina | Oberfeldwebel | Master Sergeant| Joto Huko Heiso | Flight Sergeant | Warrant Officer | Adjutant-chef
- 3-4 skill points — Ml. Leytenant | Stabsfeldwebel | Flight Officer | Hiko Hei socho | Warrant Officer | 2nd Lieutenant | Aspirant
- 5-6 skill points — Leytenant | Leutnant | Second Leutenant | Shoi | Pilot Officer | 1st Lieutenant | Sous-lieutenant
- 7-8 skill points — St. Leytenant | Oberleutnant | First Lieutenant | Chui | Flying Officer | Captain | Lieutenant
- 9-10 skill points — Kapitan | Hauptmann | Captain | Taii | Flight Lieutenant | Senior Captain | Capitaine
- 11-12 skill points — Mayor | Major | Major | Shosa | Squadron Leader | Major | Commandant
- 13-14 skill points — Podpolkovnik | Oberstleutnant | Lieutenant Colonel | Chusa | Wing Commander | Lt.Colonel | Lieutenant-colonel
- 15 skill points — Polkovnik | Oberst | Colonel | Taisa | Group Captain | Colonel | Colonel
The gunner always has a rank one step lower than the pilot (if he was earning experience alongside that pilot). Consequently a recruit gunner will have a Serzhant rank (Unterfeldwebel | Staff Sergeant | Nitto Hiko Heiso | Sergeant | Sergeant | Sergent-chef). As we mentioned before, the gunners cannot reach Colonel rank.
We’d like to emphasize that the crew ranks do not affect their battle efficiency in any way. They only convey their progress along the military career ladder.